Pfc. Steve George Gados Jr.

     Pfc. Steve G. Gados Jr., was the son of Steve G. Gados Sr. and Louise Gados.  He was born  on August 19, 1918, in Chicago and lived at 1438 North Noble Street.  His mother had been married previously and entered the marriage with seven children.  Including Steve, his parents would have eight more children.   

    After his birth, Steve's family lived at 1311 North Wood Street in Chicago.  Steve attended Kosciusko School and then Crane Technical High School for a short time.  He left school and worked at Standard Steel Corporation as a power shear operator.

    In 1940, Steve, along with his friends Ed Plodzien and Mike Wepsiec, joined the Illinois National Guard's 33rd Tank Company headquartered in Maywood, Illinois.  As a member of the 33rd Tank Company Steve was sent to Fort Knox, Kentucky, for training in November, 1940.  It was there that his company became B Company of the192nd Tank Battalion.

    During this training, Steve learned how to operate the equipment used by the company.  In particular, Steve qualified as a radio operator after three months of training completing the classes in March 1941.  In addition to operating the tank's radio, he also trained at loading the tank's cannon.  

    Steve next trained in Louisiana and took part in the Louisiana maneuvers of 1941.  After the maneuvers, the battalion was sent to Camp Polk, Louisiana.  It was there its members learned that the 192nd Tank Battalion had been selected for overseas duty.

    When the 192nd Tank Battalion arrived in the Philippines, they were supposed to receive further training in tank warfare.  As it turned out, this training was in combat against the Japanese invasion forces on Luzon.  As a radio operator, Steve was a member of Lt. Ben Morin's tank crew.  

     On December 22, 1941, at Agoo, the tank Steve was in came under heavy enemy fire.  Lt. Morin's tank platoon had been sent north to allow the 26th U. S. Cavalry to withdraw from an engagement with the Japanese near Lingayen Bay.  

    While advancing on the enemy, Steve worked to feed ammunition belts to keep the machine gun of Pvt. John Cahill firing.  It was while his tank was advancing that it took several direct hits.  With the door in front of Pvt. Cahill's face hanging from one hinge, Lt. Morin ordered the tank to be pulled off the road.  This was done to place the door back in place.  As the crew attempted to do this, a Japanese tank rammed the tank damaging the left front sprocket.  The tank could only go in circles.

    Despite efforts by the remaining four tanks in the column, the tank Steve was in could not be rescued.  Enemy fire was so bad that the crews from the other tanks assumed Steve and the other members of his tank crew were dead.  Inside the tank, the Steve and the other members of the crew were asked by Lt. Morin if they wanted to fight their way back to friendly lines or surrender.  The crew chose to surrender.  On this day, Steve and the fellow tank crew members became Prisoners of War.  

    The next day, Steve and the rest of his tank crew were sent to Bauang on the backs of Japanese tanks.  Steve's hands and feet were tied to prevent him from escaping.  To insure that he made no attempt at escaping, a Japanese soldier held a short sword against the back of his neck.  If he made a move that the guard interpreted as an escape attempt, his head would be cut off.  Steve attempted to remain as still as possible.

    At Bauang, the POWs would salute the Japanese but refused to bow to them.  Steve and the other tank crew members finally bowed to the Japanese, but only after the Japanese had severely beaten them.  The soldiers decided that this was a victory because the Japanese had to be them to get them to bow.

    After the surrender of Bataan, Steve and the other POWs were sent to Cabanatuan.  There they would be split up.  Steve was held there from May, 1942, until July 12, 1944.  He was then selected for transport to Japan.  

    Steve was sent to Bilibid Prison where he was given a physical to see if he was healthy enough for shipment to Japan.  From the docks of Manila, Steve boarded onto the Nissyo Maru on July 15th.  Two days later the ship sailed for Formosa.  It arrived at Takao on July 27th.  The next day, it sailed for Moji, Japan.  The ship arrived in Japan on August 3rd.  During the trip to Japan, he was reunited with Carl Maggio of B Company.  

    Carl and Steve managed to get out of the hold.  How they did this was that they began shouting that a man had passed out.  Another POW and Steve carried Carl to the area below the hatch.  The three men then rushed up the ladder onto the ship's deck.  To their amazement, the ship's captain allowed them to stay topside.  While they were on deck, they began eating food that was being stored on the deck.  While the two men were on deck, the POWs in the ship's hold began shouting because they were so tightly packed into the hold.  The Japanese brought a machine gun to the hold and threaten to shoot. This resulted in the prisoners immediately quieting down. 

    The Japanese decided to resolve the problem so they opened up another hold.  They then began moving prisoners, including Carl and Steve, to this hold.  By the time they finished, this smaller hold was even more crowded than the original hold.  The bathroom facilities were cans tied to ropes that were pulled out of the hatch.  These often spilled which resulted in the hold stinking of human waste.  It also resulted in maggots being everywhere and constantly biting the prisoners. 

    As the ships got closer to Japan, American submarines attacked the convoy.  These attacks continued for three nights in a roll.  The POWs heard torpedoes pass under their ship and cheered when they heard the explosions of a tanker hit by torpedoes.  The Japanese got angry over the cheering and again brought a machine gun to the hatch of the hold.  They threatened to open fire on the prisoners if the cheering did not stop.

    Steve arrived at Moji, Japan, on August 8, 1944.  He was then sent to Fukuoka #3-B at Yawata, Japan. His friend, Carl, was sent to Nagoya #7.  Steve worked at the Yawata Steel Mills doing manual labor.  The  work was to shovel iron ore and rebuild the ovens.  The POWs were sent into the ovens to clean out the debris.  Since the ovens were hot, because the Japanese would not let them cool off, the POWs worked faster on this detail. 

    On September 17, 1945, Steve was liberated by American troops.  The next day, September 18, 1945, he was sent to Nagasaki and saw the damage done by the atomic bomb.  From there, he was transported by ship to Okinawa.  Hours after arriving there, Steve was flown back to the Philippine Islands. He would spend a number of weeks there to undergo examinations and be "fattened up" before being sent back to the United States.

    On November 1, 1945, Steve arrived by ship at San Francisco.  It was a little over four years since he had left San Francisco for the Philippines.  He spent time at various Veteran Administration Hospitals before being discharged at Fort Sheridan, Illinois, in 1946.  

    Steve returned to Chicago.  He married and raised three daughters; Mary, Carol and Linda.  Steve spent the rest of his life in Chicago.

    Steve G. Gados Jr. passed away on September 16, 1987.  He was buried at Maryhill Catholic Cemetery in Niles, Illinois.  The picture below was taken of Steve while he was a POW in Japan.




Return to B Company

Return to Scrapbook