Pfc. Frank Adelbert Byars
A. Byars was born in 1921 to Ida and Emmett Byars. He grew up at
1334 Circle Avenue in Forest Park, Illinois, and attended the
Field-Stevenson School and Proviso Township High School. At
Proviso, he was interested in music, basketball, and ice skating.
He was a member of the Boy Scouts of America and the Presbyterian
Church. Before joining the Illinois National Guard, he worked as a
mechanic for the Continental Can Company in Chicago.
In 1940, at the age of 19, Frank joined the Illinois National Guard's Maywood Tank Company. He went with the company first to Fort Knox, Kentucky, and then to Camp Polk, Louisiana, for training. It was at Camp Polk that the battalion learned that General George S. Patton had selected the 192nd for duty in the Philippines.
When the 192nd arrived at Clark Field in the Philippine Islands, the plan was for them to receive
additional training. This never happened since Japan attacked
Pearl Harbor, and the Philippine Islands, two weeks later.
Since Pfc. Frank A. Byars' final resting place is unknown, his name appears on the Tablets of the Missing at the American Military Cemetery outside of Manila. This memorial is dedicated to those men whose bodies lie in unknown graves.
Frank Byars was posthumously awarded the Purple Hear. It is very likely that his remains were recovered, but since there was no way to confirm identification, he was buried as an unknown at the American Military Cemtery outside of Manila.